Catt Center announces changes in staffing

CATEGORIES: March 2020, Voices

Kristine Perkins, public relations/student programs coordinator for the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics, worked her last day at the center on March 3. On March 4, she began her new position as a communications specialist III with the agricultural and biosystems engineering and civil, construction and environmental engineering departments in the College of Engineering at Iowa State University.

Perkins, who received her bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in sociology from Iowa State University in 2009, started at the Catt Center in the fall of 2012.

“Soon after joining the Catt Center, Kristine increased its social media presence as well as redesigned the website and Voices newsletter,” said Dianne Bystrom, director emerita, who hired Perkins.

“Kristine juggled a myriad of responsibilities, often with competing deadlines, with a cool and calm demeanor and positive attitude,” said Bystrom. “She’s a consummate team player.”

In her role at the Catt Center, Perkins handled the center’s events planning, wrote for the Voices newsletter, led the Legacy of Heroines scholarship program, managed the center’s social media, coordinated the Women Impacting ISU calendar and served on the Women’s Empowerment and Leadership Conference board.

“I can’t begin to express how much I will miss having Kristine at the Catt Center,” said Kelly Winfrey, coordinator of research and outreach for the center and assistant professor with the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication. “Her hard work has been central to the Catt Center’s programming and student engagement, but most of all she is a friend who I love working with and makes every workday more fun.”

“Working with Kristine has been such a pleasure, both professionally and personally,” said Sue Cloud, communications specialist for the center. “She approaches every task with a professional eye and makes everything she touches better.”

“Kristine is a wonderful colleague,” said Karen Kedrowski, center director since January 2019. “Not only is she a skilled writer, she is wise, thoughtful and always cheerful. I will miss her counsel.”

Perkins also supervised and mentored undergraduate students serving as the center’s public relations intern.

“Kristine has had a profound impact on not only my work ethic but my experience at Iowa State as a whole,” said Grace Tuzik, a senior in public relations with a minor in event management and the center’s PR intern since August 2018. “I’m sad to think that the interns who come after me won’t be under her wing, but I’m glad I can count myself among those who did! I had an amazing time working with Kristine, as a co-worker and as a friend.”

Before working at the Catt Center, Perkins was the director of communications and organizational programming at the Ames Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Commission. She is also a graduate of the Ames Chamber of Commerce Leadership Ames class XXIX.

In her new role in the College of Engineering, Perkins will write content for feature and news stories, department communications, electronic newsletters and email campaigns for audiences both within and outside the departments, as well as manage the departments’ websites and social media channels. As the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering approaches its 150th anniversary in 2021, Perkins will also be helping to promote that celebration.

“The Catt Center has been a great place to work and grow and make meaningful connections,” Perkins said. “The opportunities it provides employees, donors, center supporters and students is boundless.”